Gingerbread is one of my favorite pastry, like every honey based recipe! This recipe is easy, the longer you keep the cake, the better it gets... but let's face it, it doesn't last for long in our home. Today I try this recipe with our honey brought from Budapest, a delish, sweet and fruity. As it is creamy, I used it for the icing only, for its perfume and to add shine to the nuts crust.
- 1 egg
- 125g butter
- 250g honey
- 100g brown sugar
- 10cl milk
- 500g flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger (I had some fresh ginger left so I grated a small piece)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp anise
- 1tsp baking powder
- Melt the butter and reserve.
- Mix the sugar, the melted butter, the honey, the milk and the egg.
- Sift the flour, the baking powder and the spices together.
- Add gradually the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Put in the oven for 1 hour at 180°C.
- I usually sprinkle the cake with sugar crystals or candied orange peel, or almonds/nuts...
Extra tip: Right after out of the oven, put your cake on a rack and coat the cake with warm honey.