Cannelloni is one our favorite family dish, it is easy and you can stuff them with so many different ingredients. Today, we made one of our favorites: veal, ricotta, mushrooms.
For the filling:
– 12 oz ground veal
– 2 large onions
– 14 oz mushrooms
– 8 oz ricotta cheese
– Olive oil
For the sauce:
– 20fl (2 1/2 cup) tomato sauce
– 1 onion
– 2 garlic cloves
– 1 leave of laurel, Provence aromatic herbs.
– 1 tbsp dehydrated veal broth
– Olive oil
– Béchamel sauce: butter, flour, milk and nutmeg.
– Stir fry the meat with some olive oil. Reserve.
– Slice the onions and the mushrooms and stir fry with some olive oil. Reserve.
– For the tomato sauce: Stir fry the onion and the garlic with some olive oil, add the tomato sauce, laurel, salt, pepper, Provence herbs and the dehydrated veal broth. Simmer.
– Prepare the bechamel sauce and add it to the tomato sauce (we usually do 1/3 of bechamel sauce, 2/3 of tomato sauce, to soften the tomato sauce and add some smooth)
– Combine the meat, the onions, the mushrooms and ricotta cheese and stuff the cannelloni. Pour the sauce on them, add grated cheese on top.
– Cook for 20 minutes at 390°F. Adapt according to the cannelloni you are using. With fresh dough, it will be shorter.
With some good bread and lettuce on side, this is a typical sunday meal with family!